The Life Lab is a two-story, 15,000-square-foot facility. The first floor consists of 50 coworking spaces, a fully stocked kitchen, office supply center, conference rooms, lockers, filing cabinets, and wifi. The second floor offers 36 lab benches comprised of a private suite and coworking lab. The facility is bio-safety lab level 1 (BL1) with dedicated bio-safety lab level 2 (BL2) rooms. The space is supported by fume hood alcoves, tissue culture rooms, refrigeration, a microscopy room, and associated operational infrastructure.
Cost and Membership:
The cost of benches, coworking desks, and the private lab suite are below market value. The coworking lab benches are $2,300/month. The cost of the private lab suite for a resident venture of up to six individuals is $15,000-$18,000/month. The lab also features dedicated scientist write-up stations for $250/month. Each life lab membership per resident is $200/month.
All Life Lab members will have full access to and immersion in the resources of the adjacent Harvard i-lab. This includes 20 conference rooms, prototyping studio, and venture-focused programming such as workshops, entrepreneurs-in-residence and advisors. Additionally, the Life Lab features industry-specific programming developed for life-sciences startups, access to Harvard library resources, and LabCentral events.
Lab Bench Information:
The Life Lab has a total of 36 lab benches – 30 benches in the coworking lab and 6 benches in the private suite.
Each bench is equipped with pipette, vortex, shared refrigerated units, vacuum and compressed air lines.
The Pagliuca Harvard Life Lab provides shared lab equipment suitable for research activities in the life sciences including but not limited to:
- Glassware prep: autoclave, glass washer
- Type I and Type II purified water, vacuum, gas supplies, ice machine
- Cold storage: refrigerators, -20 freezers, -80 freezer, cryo storage
- Basic sample prep equipment: Chemical fume hoods, balances, pH meters, centrifuges, vortexes, shakers, micropipettors, electrophoresis tanks
- Standard sample analysis tools: Plate readers, PCRs, imaging stations, spectrophotometers
- Fully equipped BSL-2 labs for tissue culture, virology and microbiology
- Specialized equipment: qPCRs, Flow cytometry, fluorescent microscopy
Members are able to reserve equipment through an online reservation tool.
- Permits for all lab operations
- Cleaning and waste removal
- EHS training and compliance for all lab users
- Maintenance of equipment and technical support
- Group purchasing is provided, as well as other programs in which pooled access reduces costs.