The Pagliuca Harvard Life Lab is a shared laboratory space for high-potential life sciences and biotech startups founded by Harvard faculty, alumni, students, and postdoctoral scholars. The 15,000-square-foot facility on Harvard’s Allston campus is a fully-equipped and permitted laboratory and office space for early-stage companies and is adjacent to the Harvard i-lab and Launch Lab.
What comes standard with a Life Lab membership?
A Life Lab membership includes a dedicated lab space for bench members as well as permits, waste handling, and all common lab equipment needed for life sciences research. Access to coworking space, conference rooms, and a kitchen is also included.
All Life Lab members will have full access to and immersion in the resources of the adjacent Harvard i-lab including its 20 conference rooms, makerspace and prototyping room, and venture-focused programming such as workshops and advisors. Additionally, the Life Lab features industry-specific programming developed for life-sciences startups.
How many lab bench and coworking spaces are available?
The Life Lab hosts 36 lab benches and 50 coworking desk spaces. Additionally, one large private lab suite is available for a resident venture. The facility is bio-safety lab level 1 (BL1) with dedicated bio-safety lab level 2 (BL2) rooms. The space is supported by fume hood alcoves, tissue culture rooms, refrigeration, a microscopy room, and associated operational infrastructure.
What instrumentation/equipment is available?
The Life Lab is equipped with all the latest instruments — both fixed and benchtop equipment — that are necessary for life-sciences research.
The Pagliuca Harvard Life Lab provides reasonably shared lab equipment suitable for research activities in the life sciences including but not limited to:
- Glassware prep: autoclave, glass washer
- Type I and Type II purified water, vacuum, gas supplies, ice machine
- Cold storage: refrigerators, -20 freezers, -80 freezer, cryo storage
- Basic sample prep equipment: Chemical fume hoods, balances, pH meters, centrifuges, vortexes, shakers, micropipettors, electrophoresis tanks
- Standard sample analysis tools: Plate readers, PCRs, imaging stations, spectrophotometers
- Fully equipped BSL-2 labs for tissue culture, virology and microbiology
- Specialized equipment: qPCRs, Flow cytometry, fluorescent microscopy
Members are able to reserve equipment through an online reservation tool.
What is the pricing?
The cost of benches, coworking desks, and the private lab suite is below market value. Benches are $2,500/month, which includes one coworking space membership. Each coworking space membership is $200/month. The cost of a private lab suite for a resident venture of up to six individuals is $15,000-$18,000/month.